I went to a class taught by Mr. Hernandez from Mira Costa. He taught us some certain things about microphones, noise versus sound, volume versus levels, soundbites, NATS, and sound editing. Much of this class was review for me, however I learned some new things about pickup patterns for microphones. I also learned the terms condoner, dynamic, and cardioid. We talked about the three C's of soundbites, colorful, clear, and concise. We also watched the Virginia gun control package, which we have watched in Broadcast Tech, as Lillian would say, "Throwback to B-Tech I!"
In this class we learned 10 tips for social media. This class was primarily about print journalism but the information can be translated to broadcast journalism. Below are some of the notes I took that I think are the most important things that I learned in this class:
1. You need to develop a policy - be accurate, objective, and clear. Needs to be treated as an extension of your publication.
2. Have a purpose - think about audience. Don't be on social media just to be on it. You don't have to be on every social media. Each platform has a different purpose.
3. Get your staff on board - staff should follow publication.
4. Follow and be followed - follow students, alumni, other schools, etc.
5. Engage with people - respond to people when they tweet you or write at you. Seek people out and initiate a convocation. In school and in community. Engage with other publications.
6. Be consistent - post daily. Look at trends like Throw back Thursday. Top tweets once a week from kids at school. Create a weekly photo album for the week. Balance, don't overwhelm followers on social media.
7. Use twitter lists and stay organized - hootsuit and tweetdeck - make a list of people/tweets. Set tweets to go out at a certain day/time.
8. 80/20 rule - nobody likes an attention hog. Know your audience and what they like. 80%-don't have to do with your publication. 20%-your publication.
9. Don't be a robot - it's okay to have personality. Be conversational when promoting posts.
10. Learn form other people - follow other social media programs, advisers, pro. Organizations.
11. Publicize - make your account to know. Start hashtags. Have contests-Follow through.